Today is like day #999 in quarantine, ok well it’s really around 100 days or something like that, but we are losing our minds over here.
I’ve been thinking a lot about my seedlings lately, as they are getting big and need to be planted into the ground. I have to tell you that I’ve learned some new things about plants that are just amazing to me. I thought it would be fun to write about it, instead of my normal heavy posts.
As a vegetarian, my family loves to tease me about the cruelty of butchering and eating plants. Especially my youngest brother-in-law, he just loves to ridicule me, but I know enough now to know that he does it out of his own insecurities, and it really doesn’t have anything to do with me.
But after learning what I now know, I’m thinking that maybe my brother-in-law’s mean teasing words are truer than we ever knew- although the leaves and fruit keep living and growing after you pick it, so there is no comparison really. I’ve made a list of the top 5 reasons why plants are #1 just like us, #2 have a soul, #3 are frickin’ rockstars!
Plants are Just Like Us
5. They move. I didn’t realize how much they move until I saw a recent video on Facebook. Ok, I realize that this isn’t a shocking realization, but it’s still pretty dang cool, check this out:
4. They sustain life. Also not brain busting. We’ve been hearing for years that the bees are dying. When the bees die, all of the plants will die and so we will die too. But still a very important attribute.
3. They take life. Also a very important attribute, yeah? Some plants eat meat (venus fly trap) but most take life in the form of poisoning it’s victim. Sad, but true.
2. They have friends AND enemies. WHO knew? Not me, that’s for sure. I am planting a ground garden this year instead of my normal container garden and found out that some plants do great near each other, and some not so much. Just like people, some of us do great near each other, and others not so much. So think about that the next time you do some gardening…
1. (DRUMROLL) .. They appear to have working brain cells- these suckers are smart! I mean, for one thing, they make their own food, all with the Earth’s elements, how awesome is that? I think we all take photosynthesis a little for granted, it’s something that we were taught at a very young age and just seems so normal– but it really is remarkable. But I recently learned something even more amazing. Did you know that if you soak a seed in your saliva, and then grow it, that seed will detect nutrients that your body is missing and grow with a surplus of those nutrients, just for YOU! So basically it becomes a personal superfood. Now, I know what you’re thinking, “No way!” I thought that at first too, but changed my mind after digging a little bit. The only thing I don’t understand is why this isn’t common knowledge?
So there ya go, folks! Plants are JUST LIKE US!
#Day429 #quarantine2020 #losingit #losingmymind #gardening #seeds #June #fun