I am SO excited to be coming up on a year with no alcohol! I never thought this would be possible, I’ve dreamt about it, but certainly had my doubts.
I’ve been compiling a list of truths. It isn’t enough to read and understand them though, you must truly believe them to be true in your heart. If you don’t know how to do that, I would recommend that you start with the book, The Four Agreements, by Don Miguel Ruiz.
I believe that the principles in this book laid the foundations for many of these truths I have come to believe. Knowing these truths, writing about them and applying real life situations to them (especially the tough stuff) has really helped me to detach from certain things in life that have been making me miserable. Here’s what I came up with so far:
1. You don’t have to like your relatives
2. Your ego can be your biggest enemy
3. Investing time in routines/rituals makes you happy, impulse actions & buys seem to make you happy, but really do not
4. Peoples opinions of you are none of your business
5. Other people’s actions can always threaten your happiness, but only if you let them
6. Boundaries are the #1 important self care action
7. We must face our fears to achieve real happiness
8. People’s actions, views & opinions (even of you) are 100% to do with them & 0% to do with you
9. I can live happily eating ‘mostly’ vegan. Like most things in life it’s not an all or nothing approach. I am at peace with this (and eating always vegetarian)
10. 80% of your body is made in the kitchen
11. Alcohol- or our addictive voices- lies
12. Two emotions drive us- fear & love. When you can identify which one is motivating you, you have discovered a secret power.
13. You have the power to create your own heaven or hell on earth.
14. People will rise or fall to your expectations- including you with your own expectations.
15. When an old door closes, a new one opens up
16. You don’t have to be a perfect parent, just show up. The #1 important thing.
17. It is far better to be the person who gets eye rolls than the one who gives them.
18. Get to bed early, get up early & eat the cake!
19. A miracle is a shift in perception
20. When people are angry, irritated, or annoyed at you, it’s a reflection of them, not you.
21. Don’t get too hung up on opinions. After all, they can do a 180 turnaround in an instant
22. Strive for a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing
23. Real security is knowing there is no security
I would love to hear feedback on any of this. Did any of these resonate with you? Do you disagree with any of these? Do you have any truths that you would add to this list?
It is Sunday and going to be about 60 degrees today. I’ve been feeling so upbeat with the approaching spring and the mild weather we’ve been having. Although it’ll be tough to get up tomorrow with the time change, I’m so excited for it to be light out so much later.
This is an exciting month. Tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary of not eating meat. Honestly, I will probably never eat it again. There are way too many meat substitutes that taste just as good or better, and there is just nothing appealing about meat to me. I’m very happy about this! Last year on this day, my great nephew was born. I was at the hospital with my sister and we got subway. Out of convenience I got a chicken sub and just remember how gross it seemed and that was the last of it. So March 9th was my day one 🙂
March 17th is my birthday. It’s not so exciting anymore, but I am grateful for another year and have been pretty healthy, I’m very grateful for that as well.
March 27th is my oldest’s birthday, he will be 17! I can’t even believe it. He is having a party at our house with a lot of friends. I’m grateful that he has made some great friends since moving here. I’m not so much looking forward to having all those adult sized teenagers over for the night, but thankful that they are good kids who want to have a Smash tournament at home, instead of going out and getting into trouble.
Last year on his birthday was one of the best nights of my life. I drank WAY too much and ran out of whatever my drink of choice was, but had to keep drinking so I drank everything in the house. I woke up in a puddle of piss around 3am. The guilt and shame I experienced helped get me to where I am today. Whenever my mind starts to romanticize booze, I think of that night and how I felt the entire next day. So yeah, it was horrible at the time, but was a huge blessing.
March 28th will be my 1 year anniversary <3
And of course, March marks the beginning of spring, which is always makes me feel elated. Even if we are having cold or snowy weather, it’s not so bad knowing that it will melt soon.
Speaking of which, it’s getting later and warmer out. I had better get out there and get my workout in before I lose my motivation. Have a great Sunday and thank you for reading <3