Thursday January 31, 2019
It’s been a long time since I wrote. I’ll try to catch you up while getting to the point of things..
This was a fun, yet Toxic, trip that had me wondering what I did to piss off the Universe. It started out kind of stressful where we flew out of an ice storm and had to deal with the airport closing until 10:00 while we were supposed to take off at 8:55am. Luckily, we weren’t delayed for THAT long, but the whole morning was uneasy and I just wanted to get the heck out of Michigan. I think it was at the airport that I made the mental switch from “I’m going to live healthy and continue working out and doing all my healthy things in Florida” to “Fuck it.”
Maybe it was that switch that ticked off the Universe. Something did, because bad things kept happening:
- My son left his gum from the plane on the floor of the bedroom and my sister’s young dog ate several pieces. The gum had xylitol which can be extremely dangerous to dogs, even in small amounts. Thank God, the dog was fine and never had any symptoms of poisoning, but it worried us for a bit.
- The first morning down there we were woken up early by the alarm on the TV announcing to take cover due to a tornado warning. Being super hungover, I put my pillow over my head and went right back to sleep with the rain and wind banging on the other side of the outside wall. I’d like to think that if there was an actual funnel cloud coming, my dad or sister would have dragged me out of bed.
- We found a man PASSED out cold half-way under his car while in Key Largo. Hubby assisted to make sure he was ok, and he woke up and got up. Paramedics showed up and called the police. By the time the cop got there, the man had ate a frosty (we were at Wendy’s) and was looking much better. The cop was looking for a tape of him driving into the parking lot totally wasted so he could arrest him, but didn’t have one so he was ticked because he had to let this guy go, and apparently he is a repeat criminal in Key Largo. The whole situation made me feel really icky!
- We went to Key Largo for 2 days. The weather was super cold and rainy and my oldest son got his hand all bit up by a pelican while at a park there (we paid to feed the fish at this park, and the pelicans were attacking us every which way to try to steal the fish food.)
- The day after Key Largo was our last full day. It poured ALL. DAY. LONG. In fact, Florida got record rainfall while we were there.
- A huge snow storm hit on the day we were to fly back. We were worried about our flight being delayed and the airport shutting down again. We were delayed like 4 hours, but it was because our plane was having mechanical issues- not because of the weather in Michigan. They ended up having to get a new plane for us, which made me feel better anyway.
All in all, all of this could have been much much worse, and I know this. It was just all of the small stuff that added up. Despite all of this, Florida was a lot of fun. It was nice to spend time with my sister, her family and my dad. I drank every night and got in zero walk/run miles. I did not meditate at all. I ate awfully down there too. By the last day, I felt more toxic than a nuclear power plant. Even my urine seemed to stink so bad (sorry for the TMI). I was excited to get home and resume a healthier way of life and sad that I was unable to keep up the good habits in Florida. Many days were such slow starts not feeling my best. Coffee and food didn’t taste as good, the sounds of the kids were way too loud and most everything made me edgy. Drinking IS truly borrowing tomorrow’s happiness and my whole time in Florida was spent on loan.
I was able to get right back on track after arriving home. Largely in part to getting 2 cold days off work right away AKA lots of extra time to put my good practices to use. I had a great workout (for the first time since last week) yesterday, but not sure it would have happened if I had to work and was still catching up from the exhaust fullness of the trip. While on the treadmill (because, you know, it’s like -15 real feel where I am at right now..) yesterday I got the email that school is closed again today. It really felt like I was once again loved by the Universe!
Even though I slacked off so bad during the trip, I’ve met my mileage goal of 40 miles for the month of January (currently at 41.15 miles, NOT including the killer at least 3 mile workout I’m going to do today). Woo hoo!!! I love meeting my goals!
I’m happy to report that my health is doing great right now. I have decreased my pred from 10mg/day to 7.5mg/day for about 10 days now and still feeling good. I think before I made the mistake of decreasing too fast. I’m going to go down to 5mg soon, just wanted to make sure all the alcohol was out of my system first– probably in the next day or two.
The biggest thing I need to start focusing is my eating. I have an idea. Dr. Greger is a world renowned plant based doctor that promotes The Daily Dozen to eat healthily. This is a list of 12 foods that we should be eating daily.
I really like meeting my goals. I really don’t like to limit things in my life. I don’t want to vow to NOT eat sweets, or whatever it is I want. BUT.. if I shopped and planned for eating the daily dozen, and was proud each night of meeting that goal, then that would leave very little space leftover for a bunch of junky food. Just like alcohol.. it’s been helpful to focus on meeting my workout and wellness goals when I don’t drink vs. not being able to meet those goals. So I’m pretty excited about this idea and hopeful it’ll work for me. It isn’t even about losing weight right now, it’s about keeping my body feeling good with good nutrition, meditation and exercise. THIS is the only thing that I can think of that might actually help me get that nutrition piece in.
Since I’m off again today, and it’s almost the weekend, I’m planning on spending extra time making a menu/shopping plan for next week that incorporates the daily dozen.
That’s all I’ve got for today! Happy almost February <3 <3 <3
For more information on Dr. Greger and the daily dozen see attached links