Step 2: We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
My belief statements:
- I am powerless over alcohol and my life has become unmanageable
- Alcohol has caused a decline in my mental health and sanity
- Alcohol is a bigger problem than I can handle on my own
- I accept that I am unable to restore my mental health and sanity without the assistance of something or someone more than I have experienced before
- I accept that a power greater than myself is best able to assist in the restoration of my mental health and sanity
Why is a higher power needed? A higher power is needed to restore my sanity and take away alcohol because I am just an imperfect and lost speck in the world and can’t do this on my own. I have faith that my HP will help me get through the tough times and help me find my way to health, sanity and sobriety.
How the possibility that a Higher Power can restore my sanity makes me feel: Loving, grateful, hopeful, humble, joyous, compassionate, passionate, wanting and remorseful.
Reservations I have about a Higher Power’s ability to restore my sanity and take away alcohol: My reservations include being able to access MY Higher Power when I am tempted or have strong urges/cravings. These strong urges/cravings seem to take over my brain/thinking when they come up. I need to know how and to be able to reach out to my Higher Power during these times when I so desperately need help.
Attributes and characteristics my Higher Power must possess to restore my sanity and take away alcohol: Unconditional love, acceptance, strength, guidance and forgiveness.
My statement of understanding about my belief that a power greater than myself can restore my sanity and take away alcohol: I will rely on my Higher Power for unconditional love, acceptance, strength and guidance to get me through the good and bad times and to help me stay sober.
I feel like I have more to practice and learn with this step. That’s ok, I have the rest of my life ❤