Life!  It has this way of throwing you for a loop sometimes. I think I’m pretty lucky in that my life is usually pretty low key– not alot of drama and pretty laid back.  If no one got injured, or diagnosed with a life changing disease or died– then it was a good day!

Today was not a low key- no drama kind of day.

I anticipated a terrific day.  Today is the records day & we are allowed to work from home. My kids are home & I miraculously worked extra this week to get my records done before today, so it’s kind of like a free day off.  The temperature is warm and it is sunny and I had planned to get the house cleaned up (long overdue) with the boys’ help and then go for a nice long walk in the sun.

This weekend was supposed to be our luge trip weekend– but it’s been too warm and so the luge is closed and the trip got cancelled.  That is ok, we were planning on getting a hotel room since we have to pay for a night of boarding for our dog either way.  SO, I was going to spend today (Friday) getting everything ready for the weekend.

The day started at 3:30am– I heard my youngest crying in his bed.  His ear was hurting.  I gave him some pain meds and it took a good hour for him to get settled down and back to sleep.

He has had a head cold for a few weeks now & the ear pain is new.  I knew I’d be taking him in today to have him checked for an ear infection.

I had an appointment at a teeth straightener place at 9:30.  I told Will that I’ll be back and then we’ll go get him checked out at the minute clinic.

As I was getting ready to head for home after my appointment, I noticed a message from my oldest.  “Will is bawling and I don’t know what I should do for him.”  I called and told him to give more pain meds and then picked him up to take him in.

I took him to the minute clinic since his regular doctor’s office was closed.  Usually there’s not a long wait there.  I was discouraged to see a gentleman checking in as we were walking in– for I knew it would at least be a half hour wait.  I was signing in when I heard words that no parent likes to hear in public, “I’m going to throw up.”  Crap!!!!!  I asked for a bag and got escorted to the bathroom.  It was then I could see how sick my little really was– he was shivering and shaking like a leaf (I’m not a neglectful parent– and promise he was fine yesterday except for the head cold he’s had!).  On top of that, we had to wait for over an hour to be seen.  Waiting with an impatient 9 year old can be tough– but waiting with an impatient 9 year old who feels like utter crap is just awful.  I tried to keep him as comfortable as possible, but he was totally miserable.

Luckily, the visit was pretty quick once we got in. He did have a pretty bad ear infection and was prescribed antibiotics.  Hallelujah!!!  I was still a little bummed because I knew he was too sick to leave with his brother so I couldn’t go for a walk or get my errands done and I also figured that he would be too sick for any type of overnight trip this weekend.  BUT.. at least it is a long weekend, I was off today anyways and didn’t have to miss work and hopefully he’ll be feeling much better by Monday.  I was trying to look at the bright side!

I dropped him off at home before picking up his prescription.  While at home I made him some lunch and started the dishwasher– then headed up to the pharmacy to get his medicine.  I was poking around stocking up on Tylenol, kleenex, Gatorade, etc when my phone rang from the house phone.  SHOOT, I thought, what now??

It was my oldest, “It smells like gas in here.   I think it’s the dishwasher.  Oh it’s smoking from the bottom.”  I instructed him to cancel it but no matter what he pushed it wouldn’t turn off.  I left my full cart at the store to rush home thinking my house was about to burn down.  “FFF—————-!!!”   In the meantime, my oldest was smart and turned off the fuse and it was off by the time I got home.

My house is still standing.  It smells like a burnt up motor in here, half of our electricity is off because when we turn it on the dishwasher starts back up, but everything is ok.  Well, except the dishwasher– but I don’t feel like it has been doing a great job of washing our dishes for awhile now, so it will be good to get a new one.

Now it’s after 2pm. It is not how I planned to spend the day and I found myself uberly frustrated at times, but I am grateful to be able to see the big picture.

My little has medicine that will help him get better and I have health insurance to help cover the cost of the visit and medication.

I have a car that allowed me to solve the various problems of the day.

My son had enough knowledge to turn off the breaker to stop the dishwasher from burning up.

We have the means (and probably saved about the same amount from the cancelled luge trip– perhaps that was a blessing) to buy a new dishwasher.

This weekend surely isn’t turning out to be the fun long weekend we anticipated.  But I will still dance in the sun when I step outside because even with all of the curveballs life is good <3




Published by Organic Revival

I am a mom of boys, wife, furmom, gardner, walker, runner, teacher, reader, writer and cook. I am 42 years old and live in the beautiful state of Michigan. I love my job as an elementary special education teacher. The most remarkable quality of mine is that I'm a recovering alcoholic.

9 thoughts on “Curveballs

  1. I am really glad things worked out!
    It’s true about life…I always say life is like a bunch of grapes…the bad things happen in bunches! Or so it seems!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: